2007/05/17

The QUEEN OF MAY - MARIE IS IN BLOOM


Home Design Ideas and Alternative
Viburnum Plicatum ' Mariesii '

I call her Marie for short. She's my favorite Viburnum and is now in bloom. Even when she's not in bloom I love her arching graceful shape and the bronzy colored leaves in Fall.

When I made the final plans for my backyard patio garden, I placed Marie as the specimen focal point, even though she was very small and didn't make much of a statement. Having seen a photo of her at maturity I was taken with the arching, horizontal branching she had. So I was patient and it took several years before she came into her own. But what a beauty she is !

I was told by a colleague that there is an amazing Marie in Chicago that I just had to see. She is probably 15 years old and has an incredible framework showing the layering of blossoms, and after that, red berries that remain attractive for quite some time. I've gotta go see her.


Home Design Ideas and Alternative Close up of Blossom

Viburnums are native shrubs and as such have few problems with disease, insects, etc. They will tolerate some shade but seem to thrive in sun if you keep them well watered.

P.S. to the above : Annie in Austin reminded me that Marie is not totally native, but has a Japanese parent and so I should clarify the "native " shrub label. Mariesii is a hybrid of a native American and a native Japanese.

0 Responses to “The QUEEN OF MAY - MARIE IS IN BLOOM”

Post a Comment