2010/01/22

OUT FOXING MOTHER NATURE




SELF.COM had this great video on their website, along with an article by Caroline Bollinger titled YOUR BEST BODY AT ANY AGE. According to the author this customized workout will not only make you look good but can actually help you be young forever .

How's that possible? Researchers studied the lifestyle habits and DNA of 2400 twins and found that those who exercised ( even as little as 30 minutes daily ) had longer telomeres or tags at the end of their chromosomes than their couch potato counterparts did. Telemores shorten with age but the longer ones looked 10 years younger.

Carol over at Maydreamsgardens is already dreaming of Spring and is using her treadmill in prepartion for the coming gardening season . According to what I've read, treadmills are the one machine that people tend to use the most in home gyms. Years ago I spied one marked down from $1200 to $150 because it was a floor model and had a few nicks and scratches. The motor was heavy duty, however, and I wore out three belts before I retired that machine 10 years later.

To prevent a return of the Plantar Fasciitis I've had I have to save my feet which means less walking than I'd like. So I must do other forms of exercise to stay in shape through the long winter months and during the gardening season. I've found that stretching and weight lifting is good for the muscles we need for serious gardening -lifting, hoeing, shoveling, digging, etc.

I lift a 26 lb. weight named Lea ( my granddaughter ) up 3 flights of stairs several times a day. Chasing after a 14-month-old will keep you in top form but I find her easier to carry than those 25-lb. sacks of soil conditioner.

So if Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's have taken their toll now is the time to get back in the swing before the garden season begins for us winter weary northern dwellers.





Written by Carolyngail at Sweet Home and Garden Chicago
All rights reserved

0 Responses to “OUT FOXING MOTHER NATURE”

Post a Comment