2007/05/15

WELL I NEVER !


Home Design Ideas and Alternative Magnolia Grandiflora 'Edith Bogue '
A Southern Belle in a Northern Climate

I was so taken back by the news that my mouth was agape for a least a minute and all I could say was " Well, I never ! " An acquaintance was telling me she knew of a place in her neighborhood where a Southern magnolia was growing and that the fragrance was so great you could smell it from the sidewalk even though the tree was a pretty good distance away .

For reasons of privacy I cannot reveal the location but can assure you that the magnolia not only exists very happily there, but blooms as well. I also learned that the cultivar, ' Edith Bogue ' will survive in Zone 5 if given a sheltered, protected site. Another cultivar, ' Victoria ' is also hardy in our area.

My question now is where am I going to find space in my small garden for Edith ? She will ultimately grow 30 ' tall and 20 ' wide. I won't think about it now. After all, tomorrow is another day.

0 Responses to “WELL I NEVER !”

Post a Comment